Hybrid/London - 2 office days a week
FSB is seeking a Principal Engineer to join our team who will represent and support our cross functional engineering teams. Working with the Head of Engineering alongside our Engineering Managers, you will help develop and implement a vision that will shape and influence engineering culture and standards across the company. In particular we are looking for candidates who have practical hands-on experience in coaching teams to develop their testing skills, specifically unit and acceptance testing to the standards required for our Continuous Delivery transformation. While you will specialise in Java based back end development, your skillset will extend far beyond this, and you are enthusiastic in researching and gaining knowledge of all relevant technologies.
You will be leading the push for engineering excellence in FSB. You must have the energy to educate, inspire and challenge your colleagues to excel. You will be passionate about engineering excellence, be able to collaborate with cross-functional teams and demonstrate strong leadership and coaching abilities. You will be hands-on and lead by example.
* Mentor/coach engineers and development teams of all levels, with a particular focus on Java back end engineers
* Champion Lean-Agile ways of working, including DevOps
* Coach engineers and development teams to write appropriate unit and acceptance tests
* Proactively work to remove technical blockers for teams, enabling them to work effectively and efficiently
* Help development teams solve challenging technical problems
* Help development teams design solutions
* Review and give constructive feedback on code
* Research and evaluate new products and technologies for adoption
* Help development teams adopt new products and technologies
* Design scalable and maintainable systems based on sound software architecture principles
* Integrate security measures into the software development lifecycle.
* Collaborate with stakeholders from different departments and disciplines.
* Expert knowledge of Java back end development
* Familiarity with caching, messaging, database, pipelines and observability technologies.
* Experienced and enthusiastic about Lean-Agile ways of working, including DevOps
* Excellent communication skills
* Proven track record mentoring/coaching engineers and teams of all levels
* Extensive knowledge of CD pipelines with hands on experience coaching teams to write appropriate unit and acceptance tests
* Strong understanding of software architecture principles and the ability to design scalable and maintainable systems.
* Solid understanding of security best practices in software engineering
* Experience within an online gaming environment
* Experience with all of the tools in the FSB technology stack
* Back End: Spring on WildFly (legacy platform), Spring Boot on Kubernetes (new platform), Quarkus, Camel, Karaf
* Front End: ReactJS on Kubernetes
* Caching: GridGain (legacy platform), redis (new platform)
* Messaging: ActiveMQ, Kafka
* Database: Postgres, MongoDB
* Pipelines: GitLab CI/CD (some legacy still on Jenkins)
* Observability: Zabbix, DataDog